Fences Suck

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Mon Apr 9 03:05:58 EDT 2001

You know, I'll be looking forward to life without fences.  There' s just
nothing at all good about a fence.  Having only been a resident here in
Oceanside for 6 months, I was very upset to find a new fence being built in
the Carlsbad Highlands.  They have the large fence already caging the area
where the gnatcatchers supposedly live.  Now they're erecting a fence on top
of the volcanic plug which will divide the whole area - for what reason I
have no idea.  What I do know is that fences suck.

Yeah, I know - parking lots are worse.  My future world will be void of
these as well.

We had a break in the weather today (Sunday, April 8, 2001) - and it looks
like it will be for just a day (more rain in the forecast tomorrow).  The
wind is cold - but the sun warmed things up - and there were actually lots
of bugs flying today.  There was an explosion of Coenenympha tullia
california (California Ringlet).  The spring leps were still on the wing -
although looking a bit tired and ready for decay.  Apodemia mormo virguilti
was more common than I've seen it so far this year.  The wildflowers were
just incredible.  There are seas of California Poppy everywhere.  I could
see the ocean, and ignoring the still-empty fenceposts that I had to climb
through, I convinced myself I was in butterfly heaven.  No sense in ruining
a perfectly good dream.

today's list:

Papilio zelicaon (Anise Swallowtail)
Pontia protodice (Checkered White)
Anthocharis sara (Sara Orangetip)

Callophrys affinis (Bramble Hairstreak)
Callophrys augustinus (Brown Elfin)
Strymon melinus (Gray Hairstreak)

Glaucopsyche lygdamus (Silvery Blue)
Apodemia mormo virgulti (Mormon Metalmark)

Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady)
Vanessa annabella (West Coast Lady)
Vanessa atalanta (Red Admiral)

Coenonympha tullia california (California Ringlet)

Mark Walker
Oceanside, CA