"Dali..." and CT moths

JH jhimmel at connix.com
Tue Apr 10 08:07:32 EDT 2001

My favorite quote comes from Dali - "The only difference between me and an insane man is I'm not insane."

Anyway, to give you a taste of the lep situation in my little corner of the world - It was in the mid 70's yesterday in Connecticut USA and figured it was way past time to get the light going.  Fourteen species, one of them a new one for my yard, showed up.  Some of them, though, have been around since March at my porchlight.

Pyreferra hesperidago - abundant
Psaphida resumens
Morrisonia evicta
Copipanolis styracis
Lithophane hemina
Lithophane petulca - new for my yard
Orthosia hibisci
Cladara atroliturata
Phigalia titea - abundant!
Phigalia strigataria
Eupithecia sp.

And at least four other tiny spp that I didn't get around to id-ing (or just couldn't).

Mourning Cloaks all over and a Question Mark were also around yesterday.  Other people are reporting Eastern Commas.  Also my first orthoptera of the season - Tetris ornata (Ornate Grouse Locust) - but that's sort'a cheating since they overwinter as adults.

Best -

John
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT USA