Atteva punctella

Robert Dana robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Apr 12 18:30:55 EDT 2001

I'm looking for some additional information about this species (Ailanthus webworm). A colleague just came in with a freshly emerged specimen he found while walking in a forest near Minneapolis (the snow has barely gone). Covell's book does not appear to include MN in the range, though "New York to Neb." comes close. What I am most curious about is the host plant or plants: ailanthus (Ailanthus altissima), also known as "the tree of heaven", is all I have found in the literature. This species is not documented as occurring in MN. Covell also gives "paradise tree", but I haven't been able to figure out what this is. Are other hosts known? And is the moth introduced to N.A. along with ailanthus?

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Robert Dana, Ph.D.
MN DNR
Natural Heritage and Nongame Research Program
500 Lafayette Rd, Box 25
St. Paul, MN 55155
651 297-2367
Email: robert.dana at dnr.state.mn.us