Island Pigmy Blue

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Apr 13 00:39:05 EDT 2001

Harry
I finally made it out to Edisto on April 12th. It was mostly sunny, 85
degrees, slight breeze.  Butterflies were still very sparse. The last
freeze must have really affected everything.   It takes me a good hour to
drive to the area from my home. I got there about 4:30 and left about 5:30.
I found two fresh male Brephidium isophthalma insularus. I think that with
all the other information we have compiled that this is conclusive proof
that this species is resident this far north.

They are at least two weeks late this year. I did not see any C. minima
skippers which have always been out at the same time at this spot. Not much
else was seen - couple of tharos, one V. virginiensis, some white
geometrids I flushed from the marsh grass.
Ron