common names

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Fri Apr 20 20:11:46 EDT 2001

Hi all,

I'd like to offer my rebuttal on Ron's "elitist" post on "common names of
butterflies."

At the risk of sounding "amateurish," I find the use of common names a
helpful frame-of-reference.

For example:  when someone on this listserv starts expounding on some
foreign species or subspecies, and doesn't even give "a clue" to the
family of that species...such as nymphalid or lycenid, much less "brush
foot" or "gossamer wings," it's very hard for someone who isn't familiar
with the "taxa of the world" to get a picture of what the elitist is
referring to (!)  To my way of thinking, it is a passive-aggressive ploy
to "exclude" anyone who hasn't been studying butterflies for the past 25
years...let them "figure it out" (!)  It seems to me you don't really
"want" to educate the ignorant masses, and would much prefer to keep your
"coveted and covert knowledge" just that.

Come on, Ron!  Give us credit where credit is due.  When I studied
systematics in college, we always started with Family Characteristics.
Learning the "Family" first and foremost, allowed one to categorize an
individual:  be it one of a few or a thousand, depending on the plant or
animal.  From that point, one can use a field guide to determine the
genus and species.  Learning scientific names is easy if you SEE the
subject a number of times, or study its dentition or carpals or genitalia
under a dissecting microscope.  How many people actually have that
opportunity at their disposal?!

Believe me, if you were actually willing to impart even a tad bit more
"information" than the majority of you do, the subjugated amateurs on
this listserv would "fly"  They might even feel free to "express"
themselves (!)

Then...watch out!!!!  Maybe that's what you're afraid of ?!

M.B. Prondzinski
USA

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.