common names

Stanley A. Gorodenski stanlep at extremezone.com
Sun Apr 22 10:14:35 EDT 2001

The name Danaus will always be Danaus and plexippus will always be
plexippus. There is no instability here.  It is how they are put
together that causes instability.  So, when someone criticizes
'scientific' names for being unstable, they are confusing it with the
Linnaean system.  In fact, this instability is one criticism of the
Linnaean system and why some are pushing for the PhyloCode system to
replace it.  Because the naming system does not depend on a 'type'
specimen, which under the linnaean system causes instability when it is
moved from one taxon to another by a systematist or taxonomist, it is
more stable.  Under PhyloCode, 'scientific' names will still be used,
but will be put together under different rules.  It will be more stable
than the current system of scientific names and more stable than common
names.  Five different common names for Danaus plexippus, and one
butterfly called a Monarch that is in a different family?

Stan