Smallish specimen pinning/spreading question

Terry Morse tlmorse at onemain.com
Mon Apr 23 02:22:35 EDT 2001

I am a beginner at pinning and spreading
butterflies.  I am trying to pin/spread a
moderately small lep, a Western Pine Elfin
(Callophrys eryphon).  The insect died with its
wings in full upright position to the extent that
I can't see the thorax well enough to properly
insert the pin.  I've had it in a relaxing chamber
for 24 hours ( is that sufficient? I had left the
specimen in the killing jar for the preceding 24
hours), but am unable to get the wings to stay
spread enough on their own for me to place the
pin.  It's a bit of a catch-22: To spread the
specimen, I need to pin it; but to pin it, I need
to spread the specimen.

Can anyone suggest how I can get the wings spread
enough (I only have two hands) that I can see to
place the pin?  I've tried placing the specimen on
a slightly rough surface and using butterfly
forceps to spread the wings with one hand while I
pin it with the other hand, but the specimen keeps
sliding forward.  I've tried putting a pin in
front of the specimen as a stop, but it just
slides past the stop.

My other elfin was kind enough to die with its
wings down, so it was easy to pin that one.

Thanks,
Terry