multicaudata vs multicaudatus

Pierre A Plauzoles sphinxangelorum at bigfoot.com
Mon Apr 23 22:58:36 EDT 2001

"Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX" wrote:

> I seem to recall some postings on this topic with respect to whether Papilio
> is masculine or feminine but cannot recall what the bottom line was.  I
> recently remembered to check my ancient latin/english dictionary and it
> claims that Papilio is masculine which suggests for those of us who chose to
> follow the ICZN rules that multicaudatus is the correct spelling.  Does
> anyone have reason to disagree with papilio as masculine ? if so, why.

Ah, but, is the meaning of the term "with multiple tails" (an prepositional
phrase in which the noun is plural) or is it something like "multi-tailed"
(where "tailed" is a past participle -- therefore a part of a verb -- acting as
an adjective modifying the noun "Papilio")?  As I recall, the plural of
multicaudatus would be multicaudata.  :-)  Now that that question is laid to
rest, another crops up: does it amount to a hill of beans?  I think so, but not
much more.

Still, since you are the one with "The Book" on the subject, I will defer to
you.