ICZN

Chris J. Durden drdn at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Apr 26 11:55:32 EDT 2001

Michael,
    We have the same problem with "English" as a new international language
of technology, business and communications.
    Which is "correct" of these fabricated technical terms - "pictel" or
"pixel". The first is an Old World usage which is correctly constructed
from the English words picture and element. The second is a New World usage
correctly constructed from the slang word pix and the English word element.
As with Pidgin English as a universal language for communication, we are
stuck with "Pidgin" (Columbic?[1]) Latin as a universal language for
scientific names.
[1.] as a native of Corsica was Columbus an Italian or a Frenchman or was
he a royal bastard from Spain? - see the paper by the spider expert Bonnet.