Pygmy Blue correction

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Sun Apr 29 13:47:47 EDT 2001

All
My bad. Bret lives in NC. So when he mentioned his Beaufort  Pigmy Blue
location I assumed it was for Beaufort NC.  It was for Beaufort SC, the B.
i. insularus type locality. So we still need an early spring record for NC.
Does anyone have one?  Everything else in my former post remains the same.
This is our smallest butterfly with a very micro habitat on the eastern US
coast. One has to go looking for this one - no fly byes here. They would be
out right now in NC and southeast VA if resident there. Go look and good
luck.
Ron

A common names PS. Evidently the common name for this group can be spelled
pygmy or pigmy - as it is both ways in different field guides and lit. The
common name was spelled Island Pigmy Blue in the OD.  Also, since Beaufort
NC and SC have the same "common" name perhaps to alleviate the confusion
and bring nomenclatural stability we should call them by their scientific
names. Beaufortus carolinicum septentrionalis (NC) and Beaufortus
carolinicum meridianalis (SC). Now, do we go with the proper latinization
or original spelling?