No Pygmy-Blue Records for NC

Harry Legrand harry.legrand at ncmail.net
Mon Apr 30 08:17:35 EDT 2001

I saw the note about E. Pygmy-Blues in SC already this year. As far as I
am aware, and I keep records of rare butterflies (and other animals) at
the NC Natural Heritage Program, this species has never been found in
North Carolina. I am aware of it occurring as far up the coast as the
Baruch facility near Georgetown, SC.

We certainly have the habitat and the hostplants (Salicornia spp.), and
it has been looked for here by me and others. There is some good-looking
habitat near Holden Beach in Brunswick County that looks almost
identical to where I've seen in in Charleston and Beaufort counties, SC.
I've seen it also in the FL keys.

We'll keep looking in NC. Maybe the Myrtle Beach barrier is a reality
(there are no coastal marshes, etc., for a good ways in the Myrtle Beach
area, as that is part of the mainland).
--
Harry LeGrand
NC Natural Heritage Program