drying in humid conditions results so far

Liz Day beebuzz at kiva.net
Sat Aug 4 16:28:46 EDT 2001

So far, the method of putting the specimens in the back seat of the car
parked in the sun seems to be working.  (Temp ~125F, humidity ~25-30%. Is
like a drying oven.)
The one reservation I have is that the wings seemed to wrinkle a little
along the veins; I don't know if this is from drying too fast or if it is
normal.   (Anyone?)

Am also hanging a 60-watt lightbulb inside a 36"x20x20" cardboard
box.  This seems to provide slower but still adequate drying, although it
is less effective when the humidity of the surrounding room is
high.   Would work well in an airconditioned office.  Temp 90-100F,
humidity ~40-45%.

AVOID - It should have been obvious, but don't store specimens in a
frost-free freezer unless their container is completely closed - they dry
out!   Moths from a closed container relaxed in two days; moths from a
container that had a tiny hole in the top are still stiff after 4
days.  All were in the freezer 9 months.

Cheers,
Liz

Liz Day
Indianapolis, Indiana, central USA  (40 N, ~86 W)
Home of budgerigar Tweeter and the beautiful pink inchworm (Eupithecia
miserulata).
USDA zone 5b.  Winters ~20F, summers ~85F.  Formerly temperate deciduous
forest.
daylight at kiva.net
www.kiva.net/~daylight