Please help uk newbie identify moth

Andy p.p1per at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 6 08:18:11 EDT 2001

Hi there

I am a complete novice where moths are concerned,

now Tarantulas, Mantids or Snakes I know but moths I dont

Anyway

My son found a moth last week in his mates bathroom.

On looking in a moth book I had it looked something like a goat moth or
similar, but I never made a thorough identification.

Before they went to bed that night they left the little plastic cup
uncovered, complete with moth, outside on their window ledge for it to make
its' escape.

By morning the moth had obviously gone but had left behind a large amount of
little bright green eggs which they brought into the house to show me then
forgot all about.

This morning, 8 days later, we have lots and lots of bright green
caterpillars all over the conservatory.

Each one is probably about 8cm in length and has a little tail sticking up
of about 3mm in length.

What I need to know is some idea of species and more importantly what food
to give these little creatures.

Sorry cant be of more help with the identification in the first place but as
I was only letting it go I didnt worry too much

Thanks in advance for any help

Andy

ps I am in Nottingham UK