frass expulsion

Jane Dillonaire jdillonaire at rcn.com
Fri Aug 10 16:26:49 EDT 2001

Since the original question dealt with projectile frass in 1st instar
Monarchs (if I remember correctly) could it have something to do with the
accumulation of toxins?  It seems to me that the first instars would be at
greater peril from predators since they have not yet accumulated the
quantities of milkweed toxin that later instars have.  Has anyone any
information regarding the relative toxicity of various instars? comparative
acceptability to predators of various instars?