RFI: Help to identify Caterpillar, Please.

Roger C. KENDRICK hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Aug 10 21:32:15 EDT 2001

 --- Nick Grishin <grishin at chop.swmed.edu> wrote: > >
http://www.forest-haven.co.uk/pix/catapila.jpg

> Dasychira pudibunda (Lymantriidae).

a.k.a.  Pale Tussock

On the taxonomic side of things, I thought this species was now in Calliteara -
Holloway's works on South-east Asian species of "Dasychira" seemed to have
sorted out this difficult group of genera to some degree (in Hong Kong there is
C. horsfieldii and C. angulata, as well as "Dasychira" checkiangensis, "D."
axutha, "D." inclusa, "D." costalis, "D." nigritula and "D." feminula). The
larva of C. pudibunda is almost a dead ringer for that of C. horsfieldii,
whereas the larva of "D." checkiangensis looks more like an oversized Orgyia
larva. I'll try and squeeze in a photo of these two species on the Hong Kong
Moths website later today (I'm already at my 6Mb limit on the HKU server, so
will need to do some picture downsizing first!)

for further reading, see Holloway, 1982 and 1999
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/mp.htm#holl82
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/mp.htm#holl99

cheers,

Roger.

=====
Roger C. KENDRICK
Ph.D. candidate, Dept. of Ecology & Biodiversity, The University of Hong Kong
Senior Conservation Officer, Fauna Conservation, Kadoorie Farm & Botanic Garden, H.K.
http://www.kfbg.org/
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/hkmoth.htm
http://hkusub.hku.hk/~kendrick/IGMHKinfo.htm
moths at kfbg.org, hkmoths at yahoo.co.uk or kendrick at hkusua.hku.hk