alien butterfly in my garden

Charles V. Covell covell at louisville.edu
Mon Aug 13 14:49:30 EDT 2001

Yesterday, Sunday Aug. 12, I went out of the house to check the garden for my periodic count of butterfly species.  There on a peony leaf stood what turned out to be a _Heliconius ismenius_, too far out of its range in Central to South America to be a migrant.  Howver, about 3 miles from our house the Louisville Zoo is operating a butterfly house this summer, Martin Feather in charge.  Some coincidence that this Heliconiine flew that far from its point of escape at the zoo to land in the back yard of just about the only person in Louisville, KY beside Martin who would note this as an alien.  Kind of makes me wonder how many escapees there are over there!  Anyone else have or know about a similar occurrence?  Cheers, Charlie