Species vs. Subspecies

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Tue Aug 14 19:12:51 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kondla, Norbert FOR:EX" <Norbert.Kondla at gems3.gov.bc.ca>
Subject: RE: Species vs. Subspecies

> Yes, speaking of being pig-headed (and I cheerfully admit to doing that
> sometimes too). The use of Phyciodes pratensis over Phyciodes pulchellus
as
> done in some recent books plainly ignores the rules of zoological
> nomenclature. Until someone can prove that the lectotype was not selected
> from the type series(which I strongly doubt can be done); the rules make
> pulchellus the correct name. At least that is my understanding at 3:46
this
> afternoon :-). I take it that you would be inclined to treat different
> looking butterflies with structural differences and no evidence of gene
> exchange as separate species ? I would really like someone to provide a
> single reason for not doing so if there is a reason - other than
half-baked
> opinions of course :-)

At times genitalia are no good either because they vary along with the
morphology -subspecies to subspecies-  (Mitoura seem to work this way), or
they are no good as they are too similar -species to species- (Atryonopsis
work this way).  Now the key here is that on the genus level it is one way
or the other. You would not have a genus where the genitalia are a
consistently good distinguishing character between species - and uniform
within subspecies, then all of a sudden come to one where the subspecies
would have different genitalia.

1) If the rule of the genus is that the genitalia differ species to
species.
2) If the rule of the same genus is that the genitalia do not differ
subspecies to subspecies, then
3) All entities with different genitalia in this genus are different
species.
4) The evolutional rules followed within a genus dictate to the taxonomist
the rank at which he places its taxa.

In this situation what they look like or proximity matter little - some
cryptic species - some very different looking subspecies.
Ron