Monarchs

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Thu Aug 16 01:42:12 EDT 2001

Thea L. and Robert M. Pyle wrote:

> Dear Hank & Priscilla,
> Thanks SO MUCH for both notes -- exciting observations!  I will pass
> them on to the Monarch Program, who hope to further investigate the Arizona
> passage.

Arizona passage?  Hank did not mention anything about what direction
the monarchs were flying in or the wind strength/direction at the time.

Asclepias subverticillata is fairly common at elevations between 3500-6000
feet in Arizona, Utah, Colorado and New Mexico and it is normal
for male monarchs to be found in abundance patrolling the flowering
patches in July and August.  It is also normal for monarchs to be
flying in all directions in early August.

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, Calif.