Monarchs

Paul Cherubini monarch at saber.net
Thu Aug 16 13:10:33 EDT 2001

Hank  Brodkin wrote:

> A. subverticiallata is common in
> parts of the San Simon Valley east of us.  I don't see it growing wild
> in the Upper San Pedro Valley, but that does not mean it is not here.
> The Queens seem to
> use a very common vining milkweed, the name of which escapes me now, but
> which has an onion-like odor and may not even be poisonous as the Native
> Americans used the flowers for food.

I find the A. subverticiallata does really well on disturbed soil - whether from
human activity or erosion. So I see it along roadsides,
horse/cattle pastures and at/near the base of eroding slopes.  When in
flower (July/Aug) it is a powerful "draw" for monarchs.

>  The Queens seem to
> use a very common vining milkweed, the name of which escapes me now, but
> which has an onion-like odor and may not even be poisonous as the Native
> Americans used the flowers for food.

Yes, the Queens really go for the Sacostemma spp. at low elevations such as
around Phoenix.  A friend I know in Phoenix is able to raise monarch caterpillars
on this vine milkweed, yet she does not see monarchs breeding on it in the wild.
Curious!

Paul Cherubini, Placerville, Calif.