NOAA

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Thu Aug 16 23:51:10 EDT 2001

ALL
There is a lesson in this little discourse. While "some" (including me)
might at times think our NOAA, FYI, LBJ, SSS, NKAS (new kid at school) are
fine as we know what we mean -- others don't. Especially people in
different parts of the world. This is a very US orientated list serve - if
communication is what one is really after then brevity is often
counterproductive.

This would return me to an element of the common vs. scientific names
theme. I just IDed a Creola Pearly Eye for someone who sent me a jpg of one
from Georgia. Guess what, I just said 'it is a creola". I am not into all
the multi  word caps and hyphen etc typing. Scientific names are very
stable at the subspecies (species) level. It is one heck of a lot easier to
just say  clarus then Silver Spotted Skipper (or is it Silver-spotted
Skipper?). It is obvious that those who employ the common names like
shorter names too which is why we see more SSS, cats, posted.  Maybe when
everyone is done reinventing this wheel they will go full circle and just
say batesii, creola, arthemis, astyanax, cardui, antiopa, rapae, rita,
carolae, rubi, priamus, zagreus, cypris, io, myops, nublis, regalis,
polyphemus, husi, calanus, ontario, favonius like everyone used to do.

This should not be taken to mean that I personally never use common names.
While I most always write coenia, I usually say Buckeye - and many others
dealt with the same way. My objection is that some have forced themselves
and want to force the rest of us to use common names _exclusively_ in
writing and talking.
Ron