Weird moth: looks like a bird dropping

Brent Cullimore brent at crtech.com
Sun Aug 19 09:15:19 EDT 2001

I think we have a winner, probably Tolype velleda but
maybe Tolype notialis.

http://members.tripod.com/~James.Reilly/Mothpage/Moth_DC.htm

Thanks to all who helped!!  I've never had such a friendly and
complete response from a news group. Maybe I'll become a
lepophile myself.

Brent

On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:30:23 GMT, Brent Cullimore <brent at crtech.com>
wrote:

>I'm in Colorado ... I'm trying to identify a strange moth I found. It
>is feathery white with a black "ridge" on its back. It really looks
>like a bird dropping. I've never heard of this type of camouflage
>and would like to know more.
>
>Also, any generic help (books, URLs) identifying Colorado
>lepidoptera would be appreciated.
>
>TIA,
>Brent
>Brent Cullimore