Hunting for ghost moth larvae

John Grehan jrg13 at psu.edu
Sun Aug 19 20:54:03 EDT 2001

A week ago Scott Griggs and I did a search for larvae of the wood-boring
ghost moth Sthenopis argentiomaculatus in Vermont (USA). Larvae of this
moth bore into the root stock of swamp alder (sorry I do not have the
genus/species to hand at this time). This species is quite common in some
areas of its range in North America, but in much of the north-western part
of Vermont it takes some looking for. Several years ago I found a cluster
of alders where larvae appeared to be quite common and as I wanted to find
some fresh material we took another look. Unfortunately this time it was
not to be so simple as we bushwacked our way through the undergrowth
looking for pupal exit holes from the June emergence without success. We
then took to bending a few stems (about 2 - 4 cm diameter) and cutting a
few to find active tunnels. After about an hour and a half of fruitless
searching we finally found one stem with larval activity. The larva was
well grown, so presumably it at least represents the generation from last
year. I had hoped to take a look at what larvae were doing two months after
the June emergence, but it was not to be.

Probably because of the secluded larval habit, very little is documented
about the feeding behavior of this species, or many ghost moths in general.
The larval tunnel begins in the roots and extends into the basal region of
the stem where the larva eventually emerges. In the root stock the larval
tunnel is open to the surface and may suggest that the larva actually feeds
on material outside the alder stem itself. The early stages of many ghost
moths feed on leave and soil detritus, and even fungi in some cases.
Whether this is the case with Sthenopis remains to be seen.

John Grehan