Recent Sightings

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Mon Aug 20 20:35:06 EDT 2001

Hi all,

Though I haven't had the chance to get out and about to pointedly observe
butterflies, I've noticed an increase in the numbers of Danaus pleixppus,
and the recent addition of Vanessa cardui on the Museum Campus where I
work.  This is quite a turnaround from the invasion of Vanessa atlalanta,
and the relatively sparse numbers of  Vanessa virginiensis, that were
observed earlier in the summer.  I am seeing far more numbers of Painted
Ladies now, than the numbers of  American Ladies that were present during
the Red Admiral invasion.  The Malus, asters and thistle plants, which
come into season in late summer, are probably instrumental in the sudden
profusion of V. cardui.

None of the butterflies appeared to be directional in their flight
patterns, though the temperatures have cooled off considerably, and bird
migrants are on the wing...

M.B. Prondzinski
Evanston, IL
USA