Butterflies Behaving Badly...

mbpi at juno.com mbpi at juno.com
Wed Aug 22 22:57:18 EDT 2001

Hi there,

My tenure in the Chicago Field Museum's butterfly exhibit is winding
down, so I thought I'd share some interesting observations I've made.

Keep in mind, this is a "contrived environment," so what happens is
pretty much like humans being incarcerated in a jail (!)

Most Leps behave in a "normal" manner (which can be questionable as to
what IS "normal" behavior).  What I've observed with all the varying
species present in the constrictions of the tent, is the cross-species
"interest" in the Queens!  From what I've seen, they are one of the most
unassuming, easy-going species in the confinement, yet they are
constantly picked on for "sexual favors..." by both Monarchs and Zebra
Longwings.  They are sexually harassed by Zebra Longwings when they first
emerge and they are sexually harassed by Monarchs when they are on the
wing.  I've seen them coupled with deluded Zebra Longwings, while trying
to extricate themselves and dry-out their wings at the same time, and
I've found them in tussles with Monarchs on the ground, refusing sexual
advances as best as they can...

Today, I observed for first time, the successful coupling of a worn male
Monarch with an equally aged and shredded female Queen...odd since there
were plenty of individuals of both species present to mate with (!)   I
see Queens mating (with each other) all the time:  between 3:00 and 4:00
p.m.,  which is their preferred hour for "afternoon delight."  I don't
often see Monarchs mating....just fighting...which is THEIR preferred
"mode of interaction" even when pursuing a female.  I've seen Monarchs
dive-bomb other unsuspecting butterflies sitting on leaves, minding their
own business, and end up on the ground.  If they are lucky, they escape.
The unfortunate individuals end up in a "wing-lock" with the instigator
and have to be manually extricated.  I had to break up two such fights
today...

This is what happens on "Free Wednesday" at the musuem...which should be
dubbed "Free-for-All Wednesday."   The visitors act-out like they're
crazy and the butterflies follow suit...  It's the prevailing "mood!"

M.B. Prondzinski
Chicago, IL
USA
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!