The psychatrist the monarchs and the cherub

Neil Jones Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 23 11:08:33 EDT 2001

In article <3B82A189.711C at mindspring.com>
           cherubini at mindspring.com "Paul Cherubini" writes:

> Robert Kriegel wrote:
>
> > I spent most of last week in Michigan's Upper Peninsula sampling.
> > On Friday (8/17) I observed 50-100 fresh Danaus pleixppus
> > (Monarch) adults at an old field in Mackinac County.
>
> Yes, numerous reports on the dplex-list indicate this is a
> very high population year for the monarch butterfly in the
> upper Midwest and Great Lakes region.

<SNIP>

Mr Cherubini has in actual fact been expelled from the Dplex-list.
One of his posts, following his usual wierd conspiracy theories
about the lack of problems caused by deforestation, was so offensive that
he was thrown off. The list has grown considerably in its number of
subscribers since his departure.

> Despite the high monarch population, we can be almost certain
> that doom and gloom "monarchs are facing dire threats"
> type articles will soon appear in major newspapers across North
> America.  It's been a Sept//Oct tradition since about 1988 when
> Dr. Lincoln Brower first began predicting the monarch migration
> could collapse by the year 2000.
>
> Paul Cherubini, Placerville, Calif.

There is a serious problem that is well accepted and recognised by workers
in the field of monarch conservation. There is a problem with deforestation
in the wintering grounds. Professor Lincoln Brower is a leading conservationist
Mr. Cherubini is, through some peculiarity of his personal mindset, a
vehement ANTI-conservationist.

If people want to know more about this issue it would be interesting to read
the new book "Four Wings and a Prayer" by Sue Halpern.

The following extracts about Mr. Cherubini are interesting.

Here Mr. Cherubini is talking about how he came to form his beliefs.

"... I got depressed, seriously depressed. And my parents were having
marital problems and the psychiatrist wanted to interview me to get a sense
about what their problems were but then he realized I had problems too, and he
 said "You're depressed, why do you think you have no future?" and I said
"because these scientists have Ph.Ds," and he said ,
"That's not right, you're paranoid,"

It goes on but experienced Cherubini watchers will recognise the theme.

Another extract is this.

We went to Jack-in-the-Box for lunch. Paul explained how low-fat foods were
unhealthy but no one could say that out loud in public because to do so would
be to take on a huge part of the economy....... He looked normal but his
ideas seemed a litle off kilter, tending toward the second gunman/trilateral
commission/ Vince Foster conspiracy side of things.

Read the book to get the full story it is most interesting.

--
Neil Jones- Neil at nwjones.demon.co.uk http://www.nwjones.demon.co.uk/
butterflies?" Andrew Lees - The quotation on his memorial at Crymlyn Bog