Peacock Butterflies

Anne Kilmer viceroy at anu.ie
Fri Aug 24 01:15:40 EDT 2001

Boydtd at aol.com wrote:

>    Part 1.1    Type: Plain Text (text/plain)
>            Encoding: 7bit

In Northern Ireland the Peacock (Inachis io) is normally a not very
common
resident, but during the last week or two they have been appearing in
large
numbers on buddleia and knapweed blossoms, with observers reporting 20,
40 or
in one case 144 at a time, and this in areas which have seen very few in
recent years and earlier this year.  It seems unlikely that these are
the
result of local breeding, so have they come from futher south in
Ireland,
from England or from the European continent?  Has the surge in numbers
occurred elsewhere?  Can anyone throw light on this situation?

Trevor Boyd
Butterfly Recorder
Butterfly Conservation (Northern Ireland Branch)

So that's where they went. My hundreds of fourth-instar larvae went
missing nearly a month ago ... I did hope all was well with them. I am
greatly relieved, although I had hoped they would say goodbye ...

Seriously, there were quite a few at Kylemore Gardens, Galway, where we
went a week ago. I would have said 10 to 20 ... as well as a Painted
Lady and a fritillary which was probably Silver Washed, but I don't know
yet.
At Enniscoe Garden yesterday (North Mayo) there were two, both in a
state of disrepair beyond belief, but still somehow flying.
I am packing up for the trip back to Florida; no more bulletins from
Sunny Ireland (nor from Rainy Ireland either) but perhaps Rome, Livorno,
Malaga will have a few nice butterflies. We will see.

I am also closing down the viceroy at anu.ie address; switch me back to
viceroy at gate.net in your address books, please. And, as of Sunday, I'll
be offline for a month.
Take care of yourselves and butterfly blessings on you.
Anne Kilmer
Mayo, Ireland
and South Florida