Another vote for butterfly houses

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Fri Aug 24 07:28:55 EDT 2001

I have had many opportunities through the years (beginning as a teen-age
nature counselor) to interact with children and nature (plants,
butterflies, birds, dinosaurs and even ecosystems).

I can't recall any interaction as spell-binding for children as watching
butterflies emerge.  Children who can't sit still can somehow stand
still for a half hour or more, watching the emergences that are
centerpieces of some of the live butterfly exhibits. And when the
butterfly finally spreads its wings, it's incredibly gratifying.

At museums, by contrast, where new exhibits employ interactive
computer-learning opportunities, kids enjoy the computers (in some cases
more than the skeletons or reconstructions), and seem to be held more by
the computer interaction itself ratherthan the information imparted.
But butterfly emergence is obviously magical and riveting for children
(and grownups), even if they never read the accompanying information
placards which explain metamorphosis.

The occasional confusion an escaping butterfly might cause us in
faunistics, seems pale by comparison.

Mike Gochfeld