Painted ladies in SW Michigan & NJ

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Sun Aug 26 21:19:12 EDT 2001

Painted Ladies (V. cardui) have been moving through NJ for the past
week. Not in great numbers, by any means, but in unusual numbers.
Whereas in most years we see none to one/week in August, now we are
seeing up to 3 at a time at our Buddleia.

They have outnumbered American Ladies (V.v.) since mid-July.

Also we are nearing the end of Red Admiral (V. atalanta) movements and
most of those we see are very worn and ragged, although occasionally a
very fresh individual appears.

M. Gochfeld