U.S. 395 - Day One (Friday)

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Mon Aug 27 03:21:49 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Walker" <MWalker at gensym.com>
Subject: U.S. 395 - Day One (Friday)

> Inyo County, CA
>
> I stopped to check out the well known Nokomis Fritillary spot at Round
> Valley, and was not disappointed.  The large and showy Fritt was active
> before 10:00 a.m.(and numerous), along with a number of skippers.  The
> female nokomis were particularly common - outnumbering the males by 3:1.
> didn't have much time, but nevertheless was able to identify a handful of
> other late summer bugs as well.  One skipper (and I've seen it here
before)
> has me confused, though.  It's Hesperia, for sure - but it has a very
> unusual pattern on the ventral hindwing.  Definitely not comma.  I think
> it's lindseyi - does anyone know if lindseyi is recorded from Round
Valley?

lindseyi is not recorded from Inyo Co. that I know of. I would be very
surprised if it is at Round Valley.  There is a H. nevada in Inyo Co. (Rock
Cr. Cyn) but the ventral spots are pretty white and I doubt you would
confuse that with lindseyi. This is also bigger than lindseyi but marked a
lot like it above. Do you have a picture? If you sent a specimen or two I
could ID it.

About the only thing I have from Round Valley is nokomis (never been
there - via exchange.) I wonder how may hundreds of specimens have been
collected from that location over the decades - and it is still going
strong there. A good example of where collecting has had no effect on a
population.
Ron