The not-so-deadly West Nile Virus

Michael Gochfeld gochfeld at eohsi.rutgers.edu
Wed Aug 29 07:47:36 EDT 2001

Mark, I'm not clear on your point.  From a public health point of view you can't
prevent people from dying. If that were the case I wouldn't let you travel
around in that car of yours (much higher risk than dying from West Nile or
butterfly bites). Even if you wear your seat belt all the time (even in bed) and
drive at the speed limit, you still have a greater risk of dying in an auto
accident than from mosquito-borne diseases.
\
Besides with all that driving you must be fatigued and at even greater risk.  Do
you want to hear what public health professionals propose as acceptable work
schedules for long distance drivers  (you wouldn't reach all those
butterfly-rich venues in your limited amounts of time).

You also have a greater risk of dying from MANY MANY other preventable diseases,
that don't capture media attention the way West Nile did.

At the risk of raising a red flag among gun-toters out there.  There were 300
gun shot deaths in NJ last year compared with one West Nile death.

West Nile is interesting and exciting to those of us in public health, but a
rational society wouldn't have made it a number one front page priority for
death prevention

Mike Gochfeld