Queen Butterflies in Washington, DC

Robert Thorn thorn at denison.edu
Thu Aug 30 14:39:07 EDT 2001

On 8/30/01 2:40 AM, "Michael Gochfeld" <gochfeld at EOHSI.RUTGERS.EDU> wrote:

> The sighting of the Queen in Washington DC is of course exciting, but I was
> intrigued by the mention of
> Queen and Monarch butterflies nectaring at Polygonums.  I wonder how common
> this is.
>
> I have six species of Polygonums growing in our yard and have NEVER seen a
> butterfly on them despite frequent surveys of plants used. for each
> butterfly sighted.
>
> In fact, come to think of it, I haven't noticed bees on them either, but
> I'll look more closely.
>
> Nor did I see butterflies nectaring at Polygonum bistortoides on Mt.Ranier
> earlier this month although the flowers were abundant (butterflies were not,
> however)..
>
> How often do butterflies nectar at Polygonums and any idea which species???.
>
> Opler and Krizek includes data on nectar uses as well as larval hosts, but
> mentions Polygonum only for the following species suggesting that such use
> is neither common or widespread.
>
> Purplish Copper (Lycaena helloides) occasional host
> Bog Fritillary  (Boloria eunomia dawsoni) host  Polygonum viviparum
> Purple Lesser Fritillary (Boloria titania) host Polygonum viviparum  also
> nectars on Polygonum bistortoides
> Hayhurst's Scallopwing or Southern Sooty Wing  (Staphylus hayhurstii)
> nectars on knotweed.
>
> Mike Gochfeld
>
> "Hilton, Rob" wrote:
>
>> On Monday, August 27, while assisting on a marsh bird survey along the
>> Anacostia River in northeast Washington, DC, I saw a female Queen
>> (Danaus gilippus) at near point blank range at around 1:13 pm.  I first
>> noticed the butterfly when it was about 2 feet from my right knee at a
>> spot along the edge of the river, at the Langston Golf Course.  The
>> butterfly came closer, perhaps 8 inches from my knee, before finally
>> drifting away into binocular range.  It made several stops at various
>> Polygonum flowers.  For two months earlier this summer I had been a
>> volunteer docent at the Wings of Fancy Butterfly Show at Brookside
>> Gardens, Wheaton, Maryland, where there were from one half to three
>> dozen Queens on each of my visits.  I became quite familiar with the
>> appearence of the species as a result.
>>
>> Its behavior was the same as the several Monarchs we saw along the edge
>> of the river: flying slowly downriver with frequent stops at Polygonum
>> and other flowers.  It was in view for 4 or 5 minutes before it
>> disappeared behind a bunch of Polygonum.  It was a fresh, bright, intact
>> butterfly.
>>
>> This sighting was a complete surprise to me!  I know about the one
>> sighted ?this month in New Jersey, as I see the LEPS-L list at an
>> archive site, but I never expected to see one myself.  But even more
>> surprising was the sighting of a (another?  the same??) female Queen at
>> the National Arboretum on Saturday, August 25, posted on the
>> Virginia/Maryland/Delaware 'bugs' list.  The Arboretum is less than a
> [...]
I've been tracking an interesting temporary habitat along the shores of
several Ohio reservoirs where several Polygonum species are nearly the only
nectar resource in late August and September.  Several types of butterflies,
especially Bronze Coppers, Gray hairstreaks, and Fiery Skippers, make
extensive use of these flowers.

Rob Thorn,  Columbus, OH