Butterflies (3 spp.) and the F&WS

Mark Walker MWalker at gensym.com
Fri Aug 31 03:51:24 EDT 2001

I'm going to pop up and say something extremely controversial, but what they
heck.  It won't be the last time, and Lord knows it's not the first time.
Here goes:

Listing doesn't work.  I agree with Norbert that the bureaucracy of it all
is particularly disturbing.  But before you flame - let me explain.  I
recently went to visit an Aunt who lives in Murrieta, near Temecula, in
Southern California.  She lives literally a stone throws distance from a
well known population of the listed Quino Checkerspot (Euphydryas editha
wrightii).  I was only made aware of it's location and proximity to
relatives a few years ago, but have been silently monitoring the spot ever
since.  Of course, collecting has never been considered - but now I'm pissed
I didn't catch and mount every last one.  You see, the whole population
(though listed for about five years now) has been completely decimated by a
master planned community.  Gone - wasted - every square inch.  If all this
bureaucracy only serves to keep out the collectors and scientists from
sampling the bugs, and proves incapable of actually saving the habitat, then
it's all for naught.  It's enough to get a mellow person riled.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the same thing happened to the Concord, N.H.
population of the Karner Blue.  Lots of buzz amongst the learned, but whilst
they chat over cappuccinos, the bulldozers roll.

Walker.