Effects of migration on populations

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Sun Dec 9 10:40:57 EST 2001

Paul,

If indeed, the mating in Mexico is panmictic for the Eastern Monarchs, then humans
shuffling genes within that region will have no long term effect. There we are agreed.
Are butterfly breeders careful not to ship across the continent? Or are we only concerned
here with shipments from Maine to Minnesota. In which case we are wasting the time of
everyone from other states and countries.

I do not understand what mathematical models you need. There are plenty of mathematical
models of migration in Crow and Kimura 1970 and in Maruyama 1977. Ask Bruce about them. I
think he will agree with me about the long term homogenizing effect of even small amounts
of migration on neutral allele frequencies in populations. Strongly selected allele
frequencies may however remain strongly differentiated, but many to most phylogenetic
studies appear to be on nearly neutral alleles.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu