Extrapolation

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Mon Dec 10 18:11:54 EST 2001

Kenelm and other nonhysterical biologists,

    The evidence for elevated extinction risks is hardly overstated by most
ecologists. While one could argue about the exact rate of added extinction risk
due to human management, the fundamentals are firmly in place for the loss of
between one fourth and one half of the species on earth. This is based on
species-area curves and the amount of land given over to incompatible human
uses. The species on the way out may take a long time to go (hence the
uncertain rate), but they are dead species walking.

Possibly this loss could be avoided, but how? By claiming things are fine or
even getting better? Public attention to environmental problems is exactly why
the air and water quality have improved in the developed world over the last 30
years.

I am no enthusiast of doomsayer environmentalism (when it is unscientific), but
if we do solve our environmental problems it will be because of Ehrlich,
Commoner and their friends, not Lomborg, Simon and other apologists for the
status quo. And if Lomborg is writing as a scientist, not as a propagandist,
why did he not have his chapter on biodiversity reviewed by Robert May, E. O.
Wilson, Peter Raven or some other scientist who is a published scientific
authority on the subject?  Is it possible Lomborg did not want that kind of
scrutiny, that he prefers the professional scrutiny of the Wall Street Journal
and the Economist, those fonts of scientific wisdom?

In short, if Lomborg is writing as a scientist, he is poorly trained in the
fields he critiques and failed to get proper review. If he is merely a
propagandist, then what he is pushing is not what the world needs.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu