Government views Monarch Butterfly Releases as a threat to Western Milkweeds

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Tue Dec 11 13:00:24 EST 2001

Mark,

We focus best on things we know and care about. In the face of massive
world-wide biodiversity and human problems, Monarch releases are, admittedly,
small potatoes. But we care about them.

I have no cash or career on the line in this argument about Monarch releases.
But I do know something about related issues that have been treated rather
optimistically by Bruce and Paul, such as the risks of disease (and various
forms of selfish DNA) and the effects of migration on genetic structure. I
would also like to see the already substantial research on Monarchs proceed
without the background noise of commercial releases. On the other hand I would
like people to do what they please. But not with the constant bad-mouthing of
serious researchers and the environmental movement who are at bottom right on
this small issue.

Obviously, the Monarch release debate is a microcosm for the debate the whole
world is having about what we value and about which forms of denial we can
tolerate. Which features of our culture should we grow and which should we
shrink. Like many silly sentimentalists, and like many informed and rigorously
honest ecologists, I think humans have messed around too much with a beautiful
and fragile world. While I do not enjoy sloppy thinking in the environmental
movement, those sloppy thinkers are fundamentally right. Hopefully, you and
Paul and Norbert and others will nudge the sloppy thinkers towards a more
careful understanding of the world.

I think many people on this list are in denial about the causes of
environmental problems. The problem is not tree huggers, binoculars or the
National Forest Service. The problem is overpopulation, bad community planning,
unnecessary waste of resources and energy, unnecessary overfertilization,
chemical pest control and other pollutants.The problem is poor education and
misinformation. In many cases, the problem is that society as a whole is
confused because spokespersons for the status quo are paid to stand up and
claim there are no real problems that cannot be solved by the free market or
faith in God. My guess is that financial and religious commitments make it hard
for people to choose wiser paths, and unwilling to blame their own choices,
people blame the people that make them feel guilty. There is much to be said
for God and the free market, but little for faith and denial.

Sincerely,

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu