So confusing

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Tue Dec 11 15:46:01 EST 2001

Rick,

    I oppose extra-natural butterfly releases of all species, but hardly
consider them atrocities. Painted Ladies and Monarchs are the safest to
release since they are so (but not completely) panmictic. Hopefully the
increase in disease risk and the loss of isolation caused by human
releases is negligible compared to the level set by their own wanderings.
I am not part of a movement to end such releases, but I regret them, and
I suspect the motives of those who support such releases.
    If we could draw the line at screwing up just a couple of species,
life could go on. If we accept the inevitable human co-option of all
natural systems, life as we know it will not go on. Most of it will go
under.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu