Butterflies of Quintana Roo or Yucatan

Andrew Warren warrena at mail.science.orst.edu
Tue Dec 11 16:41:10 EST 2001

I do not know of any books treating the butterflies of Yucatan.  Roberto
de la Maza's (1987) "Mariposas Mexicanas" will illustrate some of the
species you may see (probably about as many as will deVries 2 Costa Rica
books).  E. R. de la Maza & D. Gutierrez (1994) published a paper on the
butterflies of Quintana Roo, but this will not help you identify them (and
the paper is very difficult to interpret- to me anyway).  Probably the
most useful list of species will be that by Austin et al. (1996) on the
butterflies of Tikal National Park in Guatemala (in Tropical Lepidoptera,
7:21-37).  Also the list by Meerman of the butterflies of Belize may be of
use (but again, no illustrations to aid in identification): 1999.  Vol
10(supplement 1):7-32.  This volume does include some useful notes for
most species.  The book (1993) by R. & J. de la Maza, Mariposas de
Chiapas, has live photos of many species but is certainly not a fieldguide
and would be of limited use in the Yucatan...  Good luck!

Andy Warren