Government views Monarch Butterfly Releases as a threat toWestern Milkweeds

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Wed Dec 12 16:43:20 EST 2001

Paul and all,

I don't take the threat of butterfly releases against threatened Asclepias
species seriously, but I do think simple optimistic analyses often miss potential
problems.

For example, it may well happen that predator-prey systems (eg Danaus-Asclepias)
are sometimes stabilized by the patchy distributions of the prey and predators
(See Michael Hassell's new book on parasitoid-host population dynamics for some
evidence of this, or any ecology textbook). This is sometimes characterized as
prey escape in space. If human interference leads to more homogeneous
distributions of predators (monarchs), the odd Milkweed refugia may fail to
persist.

Now I doubt that the present level of Monarch releases puts such a system at
threat. I pose this example as just one problem release proponents have not even
considered. There may well be other problems I am incapable of imagining.

Most scientists recognize the limitations of their knowledge and imaginations.
This makes them wary of claims that disturbing ecosystems is safe. We have seen
too many cheerful human interferences come back to bite us. It is possible that
most ecologists lean towards the better safe than sorry, but so did our mothers.
We leave it to boosters, politicians and other trustworthy folk to set us
straight.

Scientists are not in a cabal to frustrate children or wedding planners. In fact
scientists, including myself have recommended less disturbing alternatives to
extra-natural releases including local releases of locally raised butterflies.
Moreover, most scientists don't have the time to argue about these issues. I am
stuck at the desk grading papers this week. Lucky you.

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu