Government views Monarch Butterfly Releases as a threat toWestern Milkweeds

Patrick Foley patfoley at csus.edu
Wed Dec 12 19:45:26 EST 2001

Paul,

Scientists are not just in the business of bugging you. They bug each other.

Butterfly examples:
1) One of the chapters (Morton 1984) of The Biology of Butterflies (Vane-Wright and
Ackery ed) is devoted to "The effects of marking and handling on recapture
frequencies of butterflies". It is not sanguine.
2) Susan Harrison, together with Jim Quinn, John Baughman, Dennis Murphy and Paul
Ehrlich (1991) devoted a paper in American Naturalist to the possible unfortunate
effects of mark-recapture sampling on two Jasper Ridge Euphydryas editha bayensis
populations. Their conclusions are equivocal.
3) A reporter from Science interviewed me after one of these Jasper Ridge
populations went extinct (since I had predicted imminent extinction) to back a claim
that Ehrlich's group had fiddled while Rome burnt. My opinion was that Ehrlich's
group could not study extinction without letting populations go extinct on their
own. The reporter grudgingly gave up the effort to paint Ehrlich as the "Jimmy
Swaggert of environmentalism" a phrase I steal from a reviewer of paper 2) above.

My point is not that scientists are unbiased. My point is that scientists are
constantly arguing about exactly those issues that you and Bruce think are silly to
argue about. And we attack each other, not just the American way of life. If only we
could channel our energies effectively and really conspire against our enemies, the
schoolchildren and bridesmaids of America!

Patrick Foley
patfoley at csus.edu