HO HO WHAT?

Guy Van de Poel & A. Kalus Guy_VdP at t-online.de
Fri Dec 14 03:00:30 EST 2001

Hi Paul and others,

Paul, you yourself wrote:

> Actually determining the natal source of the monarchs seen in the British
> Isles each fall is rather easy.  Just catch a few butterflies and
determine the
> cardiac glycosides they contain. If they contain the cardiac glycosides of
> Asclepias syriaca milkweed it will prove they originated in the northerrn
> USA or southern Canada.If they contain the cardiac glycosides of Asclepias
> currassavica, it will suggest they originated in southern Europe or the
> Canary Islands.

> Bottom line is that releases of captive reared monarchs at events
> in England/Scotland/Ireland will not substantially interfere with the
> ability of scientists to determine the origin of wild monarchs that
> usually appear in these countries each fall .
>
> Paul Cherubini
 But if I were to rear monarchs over here (Germany), I could choose which
plants I would take to rear them on. So if I would rear them on A. syriaca
they would come from ...
Nobody can garantee that I use the proper plant, so that's why it should be
forbidden to release them at all (that is over here in Europe).

Guy.