Checklist of Limenitidinae or Limenitidini

Niklas Wahlberg Niklas.Wahlberg at zoologi.su.se
Fri Dec 14 03:17:03 EST 2001

Hi,
     I haven't seen a list and I somehow doubt that there is one,
especially since we don't actually know what "Limenitidinae" is! The best
classification of Nymphalidae by Don Harvey (in Nijhout's book on butterfly
wing patterns) has a list of genera in what he considers to be
Limenitidinae. However, Andy Brower's and my molecular work are showing
that the subfamily Limenitidinae sensu Harvey is hopelessly paraphyletic
(something that Harvey was aware of for sure). The tribe Limenitidini will
likely turn out monophyletic, though I can't say much since I'm only
sampling one species per tribe of the Nymphalidae (as my outgroups in my
study of the subfamily Nymphalinae). In my own work, I've found it
necessary to build up my own checklist of the subfamily Nymphalinae, by
going through the latest taxonomical revisions for each genus (if there is
one!). For anybody interested you can find the checklist to the Nymphalinae
on my web site (address below). An excellent place to start with a
checklist for Limentidinae is
http://www.funet.fi/pub/sci/bio/life/intro.html though you will have to
figure out what you actually want to include in the subfamily yourself!
Best of luck and keep us posted on your results.

Cheers,
Niklas

At 13:13 13.12.2001 -0500, spm23 at cornell.edu wrote:
>High Listers,
>
>So here's an esoteric request: Can anyone point me to an accurate
>taxonomic list of all Limenitidinae or Limenitidini?
>
>I'm interested in more than just a list of genera.  I want a list of all
>species in this subfamily or the smaller tribe.
>
>Thanks greatly,
>
>Sean

Niklas Wahlberg
Department of Zoology