Fractals and Speciation

Woody Woods woody.woods at umb.edu
Thu Feb 1 09:17:37 EST 2001

The application of fractals to biological questions is not only biologically
promising, but has generated several important publications in Science, Nature
and other premier publications in the last three or four years. West, Brown
and Enquist (1997, Science 276-122-126) put together a fractal space-filling
branching network explanation for how metabolic rate scales-- changes-- with
body size; this is an old question that has long been begging for good
theoretical explanation. The authors have subsequent publications extending
this work. Brian Enquist has undertaken to extend the idea to ecosystems.
Though the original idea has been challenged (Dodds, Rothman and Weitz 2000),
the approach is innovative and powerful. It's worth noting that West is a
mathematician, not a biologist, and James Brown and Brian Enquist collaborated
with him because the high-powered mathematical conceptualizing required
extended somewhat beyond their own experience and expertise. In other words,
you need to know a lot of mathematics or work with someone who does (don't try
this at home!).

I wouldn't presume to judge the strength of your specific ideas, but at least
the tools you are talking about are becoming recognized for their usefulness
in explaining biological phenomena. You ain't crazy! Good luck.

Woody Woods

mbpi at juno.com wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> This may or may not be the place to pose this query, but I have secretly
> harbored a curiosity regarding mathematical "fractals" and their
> relationship to the evolution of species...as opposed to the current
> trend of molecular biology attempting to define specification.
>
> Is anyone out there doing research in this venue?  I first stumbled upon
> this possibility as a scientific illustrator of spider genitalia.  After
> drawing some 250+ differing specimens, I couldn't help but notice the
> incredible diversity, indeed, "artistic creativity," of the numbers of
> species-specific genital morphology in the spider population alone!  I
> also looked at moths under the scope, but they weren't quite as "surreal"
> as the spiders.  Nonetheless, they exhibited definite species
> differences, however subtle.
>
> Being an artist with a Biology background, if I were to go back to school
> for my PhD, this is the research I would pursue.  I'm NOT a
> mathematician, which is a definite handicap, but I have (or had) a knack
> for abstract reasoning, so "puzzles," i.e. problem solving, has always
> been my certain forte.  I never even heard of  "fractals" until I watched
> a PBS program, "Art Chicago," several years ago, which had a short
> sequence on fractals and their relevance to explaining the seeming
> incongruity of Nature: such as coast lines and mountain ranges.  What
> appears incongruous is actually a repetition of a specific fractal
> equation with an order.  For all my limited knowledge, I believe this can
> be applied to speciation, much like a kaleidoscope pushing its fractional
> limits by increments until a new, very different "picture" has evolved.
> Being a rather "scattered" individual myself, I seem to recall that
> fractals have been around since the 60's or 70's, though I don't want to
> stick my foot in my mouth, as I'm too lazy tonight to check it out.
>
> I've attempted to strike this thought up with friends at the American
> Museum of Natural History, to no avail.  Cladistics is a hard nut to
> crack (!)
>
> Is there anyone else out there who has an interest in this unexplored
> potential?
>
> M.B. Prondzinski
> GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
> http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.

William A. Woods Jr.
Department of Biology
University of Massachusetts Boston
100 Morrissey Blvd                      Lab: 617-287-6642
Boston, MA 02125                        Fax: 617-287-6650