"Colombian butterflies to the world"

Dameron, Wanda be496 at lafn.org
Thu Feb 1 15:32:14 EST 2001

Sounds good to me--one approach to help their economy.  Done properly,
it should not reduce BFs in the wild.

Visited a BF farm in Costa Rica, raising chrysalis for butterfly houses
& making it a good business.   By controlling their product they were
able to have high 90s% continuation compared to very low percentage in
nature.
They had helped many interested families get a start, often specializing
in certain species, which contributed to their standard of living.

We also need to work on cutting down drug demand from this end.

				Cheers, Wanda

Mike Quinn wrote:

> Colombia Wants to Be Monarch of Butterfly World
>

> Updated 12:27 PM ET January 26, 2001
> BOGOTA, Colombia (Reuters) - Colombia, known for being the world's No. 1
> exporter of cocaine, wants to turn to a far less menacing business -- exotic
> butterflies.
> The Commerce Ministry said on Thursday it had signed a decree to promote the
> selling of live butterflies and butterfly cocoons overseas.
>
> Riven by a 36-year civil war, Colombians export about 500 tons of cocaine a
> year, mostly to the United States.
>
> But the South American nation of sweeping Andean ranges and thick jungles is
> also home to some 3,000 different types of butterflies.
>
> And a live butterfly can fetch between 50 cents and $8 overseas, depending
> on its size and variety, according to the ministry's estimates. A cocoon can
> get between 30 cents and $5.
>
> Under the plan -- called "Colombian butterflies to the world" -- 1,200
> butterfly breeding houses have been built.
>
> http://news.excite.com/news/r/010126/12/odd-butterflies-dc

Wanda Dameron
Flutterby Press
ATL, LepSoc, LA-NABA, Lorquin, Xerces
23424 Jonathan St., Los Angeles, Ca. 91304
818-340-0365     be496 at lafn.org