no names - just protection

Ron Gatrelle gatrelle at tils-ttr.org
Fri Feb 2 15:10:08 EST 2001

James,
    Thank you for this post. I almost didn't open it - I'm glad I did. I
had no intention of "gettin it on" (non-sexually of course) with you. I am
sorry.
    I have copies (although now a few years old) of all the pertinent CFR
regulations. In fact I gave a talk on these at a S. Leps. meeting several
years ago. I would also like to reveal more of who, what, and why I was
conversing about leps with a F&W law enforcement officer. I will say this,
there are "agents" who feel that being bug police is not why they took
their job and that at lot of it (regs etc.) are on thin legal ice.
    Actually, let me go on a bit. We need to remember that F&W agents are
real "cops" . If they have come on too "strong" in dealing with little
ladies who only picked up duck feathers in their yard to make pictures
with - it is becuase they are usually in some wilderness waiting for some
poacher with a gun - or some drug plane to land. In other words these cops
deal with people who could, and sometimes do, make widows of their wives.
    Last fall I was collecting legal specimens of Pterourus troilus in
southwest Florida for use in the type series of fakahatcheensis. At one
point I was in an area of several thousand acres of abandoned  roads. Years
ago this area was some entrepreneurs massive housing development. However,
it never made it past put down the black toped streets. This place went on
forever. There were scores of "streets" long, flat, and straight (perfect
landing strips). Almost all of these "streets" were dead ends as there was
only two ways in and out. A local wildlife guy told me to be very careful
as this was a literal killer zone and drug shipment drop off location. At
one point I was indeed followed for quite a way by some pretty seedy
characters in a beat up, big wheeled pickup truck. I got the hint and left
that part of the area.
    Now these law enforcement officers are being asked to take on thugs in
pink tights and wielding butterfly nets.
Ron