more comments on subspecies and protection

John Shuey jshuey at tnc.org
Mon Feb 5 09:00:16 EST 2001

> SNIP....
> This is not true. The law requires only that a population may be distinct
> somehow, and does not even have to be named. The rank of subspecies is
> unnecessary for protection.
> >>

> I'm not saying you're wrong, but I have not heard of this, at least at the
> Federal level.  Maybe you can cite an example.  Are there any examples on the
> list of Federally Endangered Species?  Certainly states can protect their
> portion of the range of a species.  Is this what you are referring to?
>
> SNIP....
>
> Anybody...help us out here.
>
> Harry Pavulaan

Two quick examples come to mind - First the piping plover has at least three
recovery plans covering populations that are not taxonomically recognized as
different (at least I think they aren't considered different).  A plan for the
East Coast, the Great Lakes and one for the Great Plains.

More directly to the point, the original range of the northern copperbelly
waternake (Nerodia erythrogaster neglecta) has been neatly cut in half by the
corn belt in Indiana, creating two sets of populations,  each with different
federal status under the ESA.  The northern set of populations (in extreme NE
Indiana, extreme SW Michigan and extreme NW Ohio) is federally listed as
Threatened.  The populations in SW Indiana, SE Illinois and adjacent Kentucky are
listed as Special Concern (which means these populations aren't federally
protected).

Interestingly, we (TNC) own a bunch of the non-protected populations in Indiana,
but have never had the chance to work at the key remaining NE Indiana site (which
we would jump on if it ever came up for sale).

With apologies to Mick Jagger,
Persona John Shuey
(... I like it! ... )