SUPERSPECIES - SPECIES - SUBSPECIES

Guy Van de Poel & A. Kalus Guy_VdP at t-online.de
Mon Feb 5 10:26:20 EST 2001

The (newest edition of the) code (effective 01 January 2000) reads in
article 6.2.:
[start of quotation]
Names of aggregates of species or subspecies.
A specific name may be added in parentheses after the genus-group name, or
be interpolated in parentheses between the genus-group name and the specific
name, to denote an aggregate of species within a genus-group taxon;
and a subspecific name may be interpolated in parentheses between the
specific and subspecific names to denote an aggregate of subspecies within a
species;
such names, which must always begin with a lowercase letter and be written
in full, are not counted in the number of words in a binomen or trinomen.
The Principle of Priority applies to such names [Art. 23.3.3]; for their
availability see Article 11.9.3.5.

Recommendation 6B. Taxonomic meaning of interpolated names.
An author who wishes to denote an aggregate at either of the additional
taxonomic levels mentioned in  Article 6.2 should place a term to indicate
the taxonomic meaning of the aggregate in the same parentheses as its
interpolated species-group name on the first occasion that the notation is
used in any work.

Example.
In the butterfly genus Ornithoptera Boisduval, 1832 the species O. priamus
(Linnaeus, 1758) is the earliest-named member of an aggregate of vicarious
species that includes also O. lydius Felder, 1865 and O. croesus Wallace,
1865. The taxonomic meaning accorded to the O. priamus aggregate may be
expressed in the notation "Ornithoptera (superspecies priamus)", and the
members of the aggregate by the notations "O. (priamus) priamus (Linnaeus,
1758)", O. (priamus) lydius Felder, 1865", and "O. (priamus) croesus
Wallace, 1865".
[end of quotation]

However, the example fails to give a name for the 'aggregate of subspecies',
which leaves us with an incomplete Code.
Proposals for this super-subspecies ? (intraspecies ?)

Guy.

Guy Van de Poel
Guy_VdP at t-online.de

Royal Entomological Society of Antwerp