What is a superspecies

Dale Hoyt dlhoyt at negia.net
Mon Feb 5 16:22:58 EST 2001

Forgive my intrusion on this discussion. I am only an amateur
lepidopterist, but I do have some training and background in systematics
(herpetology) many years ago. The term: "superspecies" rang a familiar bell
and, sure enough, on p. 29 of Methods and Principles of Systematic Zoology,
1953 by Mayr, Linsley & Usinger I found the following:
	"The Superspecies. Closely related allopatric forms are usually subspecies
of a polytypic species. Occasionally, however, the evidence indicates that
these allopatric forms have attained species rank (particularly if
effectively isolated for a long time). It is frequently important in
evolutionary and zoogeographical studies to single out such groups of
entirely or largely allopatric species and appliy to them a unit term. The
term _superspecies_ was proposed for these (Mayr, 1931) as a substitute for
the earlier term _Artenkreis_ proposed by Rensch (1929)."
	"_A superspecies is a monoplyletic group of very closely related and
largely or entirely allopatric species._"
	"When the ranges of its component species are plotted on a map, the
superspecies usually presents the picture of a polytypic species. However,
there is evidence that the component species have attained reproductive
isolation. . . ."
	"Superspecies are not distinguished by a special nomenclature. They are,
however, listed as such in monographs and catalogues. . . ."

It looks as though the latest version of ICZN has formalized what was a
useful, but informal, grouping of species.

I don't have more recent editions of Mayr et al. at hand, but I suspect
that at least some older systematists use the superspecies term in the
sense given above .

Just the opinion of a "rank amateur".
Cheers!

Dale Hoyt