Subspecies and protection

James J Kruse fnjjk1 at aurora.uaf.edu
Thu Feb 8 16:07:34 EST 2001

Ah ha! I found the definition problem with help from Ken Philip:

The old (1984) version says this:

(15) The term "species" includes any subspecies of fish or wildlife or
plants, and any distinct population segment of any species or
vertebrate fish or wildlife which interbreeds when mature.

The new (1993) version says this:

(15) The term "species" includes any subspecies of fish or wildlife or
plants, and any distinct population segment of any species of
vertebrate fish or wildlife which interbreeds when mature.

Notice the 'of' in the second definition in place of the 'or' in the
earlier version which totally changes the meaning. This was apparently a
strategic type-o.

So, the moral of the story is that all of this is driven by politics.

James J. Kruse, Ph.D.
Curator of Entomology
University of Alaska Museum
907 Yukon Drive, PO Box 756960