Binocular microscopes

Kenelm Philip fnkwp at aurora.alaska.edu
Fri Feb 9 02:16:16 EST 2001

> Get a fiber/fibre optic illuminator if you really want to see or
> photograph with your binocular scope.

I have an old B&L variable-magnification dissecting scope--and I was never
very happy with the illuminator that came with it (which mounted into a
hole behind the unit, and threw a lot of heat into your face). Many years
ago I replaced it with something totally different--an old-style dentists'
lamp, which is mounted on the end of my work table and is positioned 3 feet
to the left of, and one foot higher than, the microscope. No heat on my
face, _lots_ of light, which can be moved over different angles within a
small range--and it has the side benefit that it can brightly illuminate
1/2 of an 18-inch spreading board, so I use it when spreading leps. I made
a socket for the lamp out of standard iron pipe, which let me use all the
adjustments for position that were built into the lamp.

	If you know a local dentist who is redoing his office (or has
recently done so) inquire about the old lamps. I paid $20 for mine--a
real bargain. The bulbs alone cost more than that now--but they last
quite a while.

							Ken Philip
fnwkp at uaf.edu