Bag Worm

Leptraps at aol.com Leptraps at aol.com
Sat Feb 17 20:16:24 EST 2001

I was on a business trip last week to Colorado. I would like to collect the
moths, especially Schinia moths in the Pawnee National Grasslands in
Northeast Colorado next fall. Before leaving for home, I drove up to visit
the grasslands in Weld County. It is extremely barren. However, when I pulled
over to the side of the road to have a look around, I noticed a lone tree, 4
feet tall or so, 20 feet from the road. When I looked, I saw bag worm sacks
on the tree. On the flight home it dawned on me. The female bagworm is
wingless. How did these bagworms get unto this lone tree in the vast treeless
grass land? I do not remember seeing another tree anywhere near this one.
Unless brought by man, that female walked a long way!

Anyone have an explanation?

Leroy C. Koehn
202 Redding Road
Georgetown, Kentucky